The name of this city gate pays tribute to the protector of the town. Saint George is depicted on one of its sides, facing the countryside.
The two sculptors Jean Richier and Simon Drouin were responsible for the monument’s remarkable decorative features.
It was built between 1606 and 1619 in connection with the construction of the ‘New Town’ or Ville Neuve, and bears the Renaissance style. Its impressive restoration dates from 2013.
The gate was saved from destruction in the 19th century thanks to the support of Victor Hugo.
- All year